- Sealants are applied to the grooves of the teeth as a protective coating. This coating prevents the penetration of bacteria and food into the grooves thereby preventing cavities.
- Most teeth can be sealed, however the six and twelve year molars are the most common teeth the dentist will recommend sealants for.
- Sealant application is a simple procedure that does not require local anaesthetic (freezing).
- Your child will be able to eat/drink after the appointment.
- Sealants can last for many years and will last longer if your child has good oral hygiene and a proper diet.
- The dentist will evaluate the sealants during routine dental visits and recommend reapplication or repair as necessary.